Monday, April 25, 2011

AniMonday - Baccano!

Baccano is an interesting Anime for several reasons. Right off the bat, you have depression era gangsters in New York. Add to this a supernatural twist involving immortals and I couldn't resist. The premise made me think of Untouchables meets Highlander. But then, there's something else about the series that I'm not sure will work. The story, you see, is told from many points of view. At first, it's a little confusing to tell what is going on or who the characters are, but I think this may be intentional. Nonlinear storytelling has, at this point, become standard in all media, but seems appropriate here in a tale involving immortals. I'm only one episode in, so I still have to see how it works.

Basically, from what I could piece together, there are two mafia families going to war. One (or both?) are immortals, apparently because of some potion they found back in the 1700's (on a ship?). Meanwhile, the story is being told by a little girl and an old man, who are trying to determine who the main character is, and may or may not be part of the story itself. Although this sounds like a mess, I have a feeling it will come together as it unfolds. The opening theme reminded me of Cowboy Bebop, which right off sets my expectations pretty high, so we'll see where this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment