Friday, May 8, 2015

Flashback Friday: American Hustle

I reviewed American Hustle on my tumblr on February 8th, 2014. It's one of my best pieces.


Professional review ahead.

American Hustle

Finally saw American Hustle. Felt like I was watching what would happen if Goodfellas had farted and that fart then tried to make a Scorsese movie. Except the fart has only heard of Scorsese movies and never actually seen one. Also, the fart is blind. And, even for a fart, not very talented. He’s a fart that isn’t concerned with anything more than style, and maybe the smell of its own farts.

The comparisons to Wolf of Wall Street are mindboggling because they should highlight just how empty and superficial Hustle is, but audiences seem to be going for the fake style over substance. Maybe that’s not surprising. I don’t know. But it is a little depressing. I know Russel can do better, I’ve seen it. Bale, Lawrence, Renner and the rest were good, but wasted.

Fart.

No comments:

Post a Comment