Friday, April 13, 2012

Casting Pods - Florida Supercast

I like podcasts, but I'm a little bit picky about comic book and "geek culture" podcasts. Here's what I don't want: I don't want stereotypes. I don't want tons of irrelevant chatter and inside jokes that only the hosts understand. I don't want excessive snark. I don't want fanboy whining. I don't want hipsters posing as "geeks." As a result, I really only listen to one podcast on comics and that's iFanboy. But I'm always on the lookout for something new. So, when I heard that my friends over at Florida Supercon were putting out something they were calling Florida Supercast, I had to check it out. Although this was a local production and I kind of know some of the players, I didn't know what to expect. Well, spoiler alert, after one episode, this is now in my podcast rotation.


The first episode focused mainly on upcoming comic book movies, a topic that can often bore me to tears because you usually get a lot of whining about how they need to make it exactly like the books and all that. What these three did was not that, in any way. For starters, they all had clearly thought out opinions and enough awareness to know the difference between an opinion and a fact. Basically, I was never yelling at them to shut up or turning the show off in anger. So, the first test was passed with flying colors. Also, they didn't just go over a bunch of details you can just look up online. They had actual discussions about the movies and the source material. It was thought provoking and entertaining.


As I hinted at earlier, I know a couple of the hosts (thought not that well). Simply knowing them is not enough to get me to first listen to what they have to say and then to actually like it and keep listening, though. But, Ben and Jenni used to work at Florida Supercomics and there were several times that I bought books based on their recommendations. I trust their opinions is what I'm saying. (I also respect Ben's art and Jenni's awesome ink.) I'm looking forward to hearing them discuss some books on the show. I don't know Tom, but all three of them come off as professional and yet relaxed enough that their natural chemistry comes through. That's the formula for a successful show, really. It's what I like about iFanboy and I see it here as well.


I guess my only "complaint" would be the distribution of the show. It's currently being put out on Livestream, so you can watch it live, on a computer, on Thursday nights. That's actually great. However, for me, it's not really possible to see it live, and I rely mainly on mobile devices on which Livestream doesn't work. I was able to watch/listen to the first episode on Youtube, which is fine, but I wish the episodes were available for me a bit sooner. This is a minor issue, as I'm sure this is all being worked out. They just started doing this. Anyway, I highly recommend checking them out for a fresh, fun take "geek" culture.

Note: I keep putting "geek" in quotes because I'm a little tired of the word. I welcome recommendations on what to call this thing of ours.

1 comment:

  1. we're a little all over the place, but if you want to see episodes 002 and 003 as shot live before we add the bells and whistles I'll put the links below:

    http://new.livestream.com/floridasupercast/events/572022

    http://new.livestream.com/floridasupercast/events/661930

    ReplyDelete