Monday, May 9, 2011

Comics of the Week

I continue to be surprised by how much I enjoy Uncanny X-Force. Issue #9 was no exception. The story was simple enough, Magneto has received some information on a Nazi officer, and we don't know for certain what he did to Magneto, possibly killed his family. Either way, Magneto wants revenge and he asks X-Force to help him, which is already interesting since no one is supposed to know the team exists. Wolverine agrees to do it, alone. What we get is a simple tale of revenge, trying to outrun your past, the weight of guilt and the inevitability of justice. To start with, the exchange between Magneto and Wolverine is fantastic. Very few words throughout the issue, but these are characters that understand each other all too well. This was an excellent stand alone story, but still lays pieces that will be picked up later, I'm sure, with Magneto knowing about X-Force.




On a completely different plane of existence is Axe Cop: Bad Guy Earth #3. This mini-series was so much fun. It had me laughing out loud and barely able to explain why I was laughing to my wife, because the more I tried to explain it, the more out there it sounded and the funnier it got. And the great thing is that even though it was crazy fun, there was at least one moment that picked up on what seemed like a throw away bit from the first issue, in order to wrap the story up. I hadn't heard of Axe Cop until this series came out, but I'll now have to go back and read the web comics. We need more books written by 6 year olds.

No comments:

Post a Comment