Friday, April 15, 2011

Comics of the Week - So Far

Maybe I unknowingly left the best for last, but I have 3 books left to read this week and I still haven't been knocked out by anything. They haven't been horrible (for the most part), but they haven't wowed me either. Here's some of what I've read.



Superman #710 - I actually stopped reading it several pages in and skipped to the ending to get to the point. Bruce and Clark in the past, with a retcon of how they first met, before they were Superman and Batman. The problem is, we get a different version of their first meeting every so often and it just becomes the same thing over and over again. Let's move on.





Batgirl #20 was solid, with a couple of fun moments, but not nearly as much fun as it has been in previous issues. This wrapped up the two part arc started last issue, with Stephanie and Proxy on their own in a brand new, high tech HQ courtesy of Batman Inc. This may actually be the best issue of the week for me, so far. Batgirl has really come into her own and now is a contender in Gotham, without Oracle watching over
her. She's grown up and I look forward to reading more.




 
Red Robin #22. Tim Drake is a badass. Really, that's all you need to know. There have been better issues of this series though. However, there are some really great moments that detail just how much of a badass Tim is. Overall, it was solid, and no complaints. I can't say I was blown away by anything though. In coming issues, he'll be dealing with Ra's al Ghul, which was great fun the last time it happened when this series first started.



 G.I. Joe Vol. 2 #0. Yeah, that numbering can be a little confusing. This is basically an intro to what's to come in IDW's G.I. Joe line after the death of Cobra Commander. They are starting all the numbering from scratch, which I'm not sure is necessary. However, this line of books has not disappointed me yet. This wasn't a full issue, though. It was several small preludes to the new series, tying directly from the previous titles. Not enough to sink into in any story, but certainly enough to whet your appetite or get a feel for what this is all about. I am really looking forward to the full 
relaunch in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment