Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Indie Comics - Voodoo Junkie Hitwoman

If I say I believe in helping the comics industry, and particularly, new creators, I should do something to prove it. Well, technically, I hadn't actually said I believed in that, but I do. So, in the interest of helping promote new talent and creators, here is my first indie review.

Cabra Cini: Voodoo Junkie Hitwoman, created by Sam Johnson with art by Bruno Letizia, is the story of Cabra Cini, ex-hooker and junkie and now a voodoo addicted detective of fortune (AKA Hitwoman). The one story available at the moment is in Visionary Comics' Digital Visions #4, which you can get for free, that's right, free, at several places, such as right here: Digital Visions #4.


Anyway, it's pretty cool. Right off you get a good sense of the character and her past. As a short introduction to the character, in an anthology, I think it accomplishes the set up in a quick way without overwhelming the reader with too much exposition. However, I am interested in seeing this develop in a full issue format, where more time can be taken to form ideas, once the general premise has been established. The noirish style of the story, with the narration by Cabra, is supported by the dark tones of the art. The heavy shadows and lines work well with the deep tones to paint a world that is pulpy and foreboding.


We jump in with Cabra on a case, looking for Tom Spelling who killed his girlfriend. I know I said she was a detective earlier, which I stand by, but she isn't looking for Tom because someone is sad he's missing. She's been hired to take him out. It's part Alias (Bendis), part Dr. Strange and part something else. Something grittier and darker that I'm looking forward to reading more to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment