Monday, February 28, 2011

Manga for the Comics Guy

I've read comics, on and off, most of my life. While I enjoy comics in general, what I find myself reading more are DC books and indies. I'm also a big Sci-Fi fan, going back to the original Star Trek and on through Star Wars, ST: TNG, Battlestar Galactica, etc.



My experience with anime has been limited. Speed Racer, Captain Harlock and Robotech are vague memories from when I was a wee lad, but details are scarce. Sure, I saw Akira back in the day, and liked it fine, but the ending was a little over the top for me. It's what I think of when I think of "typical anime." Then, I saw Cowboy Be-Bop and it became one of my all time favorite series, anime or not. But I just doubt that I'm going to find anything else like that. Still, I think it's high time I try manga.



On a friend's suggestion I'll be starting with Gantz. I have purposely not read any synopsis or description of it. I only know what I was told: "You're gonna love me for getting you on this. It's got Sci-Fi, action, everything you love." So, already, I know I can't admit to liking it, but let's see. I'm starting tonight and will report along the way with thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment